The Texas State Capitol serves as the state's administrative center and seat of power. The offices and chambers of the Texas Legislature and the Texas Governor are housed in the building, which is situated in the heart of Austin, Texas. Elijah E. Myers, an architect, created the initial design for it in 1881. Reuben Lindsay Walker, a civil engineer, oversaw construction from 1882 to 1888.
In 1993, a $75 million underground extension was finished. In 1970, the structure was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and in 1986 it was designated a National Historic Landmark. The Texas State Capitol, which stands at 302.64 feet tall and is one of few state capitols that are taller than the US Capitol in Washington, D.C., was ranked 92nd in the American Institute of Architects' 2007 "America's Favorite Architecture" survey.
Austin is a city, the state capital of Texas, and the county seat of Travis since 1840. It is situated in the south-central region of the state, about 80 miles (130 km) northeast of San Antonio, where the Colorado River crosses the Balcones Escarpment.
One of the most notable state capitols in the country is without a doubt the Texas Capitol. In 1970, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places, and in 1986, it received the designation of National Historic Landmark.
The third structure to do so is the current Texas State Capitol. The first was a wooden building that had been the Texas Republic's national capital and remained so after the state was admitted to the Union. On the same site as the current capitol in Austin, the second Texas capitol was constructed in 1853. It was destroyed by fire in 1881, but plans had already been made to replace it with a new, much larger building.
On a mountaintop overlooking downtown Austin, the Texas State Capitol and its grounds are situated. The main entrance faces the Congress Avenue Historic District to the south, where it creates an ending view. The University of Texas at Austin is four blocks south of the capitol's northern boundary.
Underneath the dome, the interior of the center section creates an open rotunda. Connecting the many levels of the building are the two enormous cast-iron staircases that flank the rotunda. The Texas Senate and Texas House of Representatives convene in spacious, double-height chambers in the middle of the two wings on the second level, which are visible from public galleries on the third floor. Courtrooms, archives, and office space occupy the remaining space of the structure, and the underground extension is home to further offices.
There are statues and memorials strewn around the 22 acres (8.9 ha) of grounds that encircle the Capitol building. In 1888, William Munro Johnson, a civil engineer, was employed to enhance the grounds' beauty. The majority of Johnson's idea had been put in place by the time the first monument honoring the Alamo Heroes was erected in 1891. These included a "Great Walk" with pavement covered in trees and a black and white diamond pattern. The Volunteer Firemen Monument (1896), Confederate Soldiers Monument (1903), Terry's Texas Rangers Monument (1907), and the Heroes of the Alamo Monument (1891) are the four oldest monuments and are located on either side of the Great Walk's tree-lined path.
Visit also Haunted Austin Walking History Tour