The Temple, a Reform synagogue established in 1867, is Atlanta's oldest synagogue and one of American Judaism's most distinguished, active, and varied congregations. It has developed a history of social justice work and a dedication to increasing people's access to a complete Jewish life during the past 150 years. The Temple was finished in 1931 and was created by Philip Trammell Shutze in the Neoclassical style.
October 12, 1958, a bombing at the Hebrew Benevolent Congregation Temple in Atlanta, Georgia, took place. A Reform Jewish congregation might be found at the Hebrew Benevolent Congregation Temple on Peachtree Street. The dynamite-fueled explosion severely destroyed the building, but no one was hurt. After the incident, five individuals were taken into custody nearly quickly. George Bright, one of them, underwent two trials. His first trial resulted in a deadlock, and his second trial resulted in an acquittal. The other suspects were not put on trial as a result of Bright's acquittal, and no one was ever found guilty of the bombing.On October 12, 1958, a bombing at the Hebrew Benevolent Congregation Temple in Atlanta, Georgia, took place. A Reform Jewish congregation might be found at the Hebrew Benevolent Congregation Temple on Peachtree Street. The dynamite-fueled explosion severely destroyed the building, but no one was hurt.
Luther King Corley, one of the five suspects, was freed on October 17. A Georgia state grand jury had indicted Wallace Allen, Bright, Griffin, and Robert A. Bolling on a capital charge of bombing The Temple.
City of Atlanta GA, The Temple, the oldest Jewish congregation in Atlanta (founded in 1867), is located just south of Interstate 85, situated back from Peachtree Street. Its most distinctive architectural element is the sanctuary's 1931 block, which is classically designed and made of red brick laid in a Flemish bond pattern and topped by a colonnade drum dome. City of Atlanta GA, this initial piece has two of its front corners removed and is roughly square in shape. It rests on a base made of limestone and cement-stucco. Almost the entire front face is covered by a full-height, enclosed portico. From its center bay extends a semi-circular porch with a sizable lunette window above.A 1949 three-story brick addition with a classical design that houses offices and classroom space is located directly behind the sanctuary. The complex is extended to the rear by a contemporary, rectangular, three-story brick building constructed in 1959.
Near Atlanta the building of the Alanta synagogue was started in 1875 by the Hebrew Benevolent Congregation, which was originally founded in 1860 as the Hebrew Benevolent Society. The Jewish community of the city is still served by The Temple, as it became called.
You may also want to check out Blue Mark Studios when you visit Atlanta.